17 February 2012

Spring Cleaning

Spring hasn't officially "sprung" yet, but already on my mind is how I'm going to transition from the cardigans, long sleeves and boots that make up my daily work wardrobe to the skirts, dresses and sandals that will make up the spring/summer fashion season.  I know, I know...this is the biggest thing on my mind right now you say?  Well, in essence, yes because as a mega-type A personality, everything must be planned and in order in my life for me to be truly happy.  And you do want me to be happy don't you??

All kidding aside, the transition from seasons whether in fashion or food or gardening or home projects almost always takes some careful planning and reorganization.  You need new tools and the old ones have to go somewhere.   So, to go back to my original problem: how can I pack away all my winter stuff, bring out the spring/summer clothes, shoes & accessories, AND go through everything to ensure it still fits/is in good shape/is relevant without losing my mind?

BIG problem, indeed.  I've been reading about spring cleaning/preparing for a new season over the last few days and I've narrowed it down to three key tips:
  1. If you haven't worn it/used it in the last year, give it away if it's in decent condition.  If it's not, throw it away.  Personally, I give some items away that I know I didn't pay a lot for at least every 6 months.  Everything else, I sell to a consignment shop, which leads me to point #2...
  2. Don't under estimate the value of a piece that doesn't fit or you don't wear anymore:  sell it to a consignment shop.  You will never get the full price back, but you will get something for pieces that are in good condition and in season.   And who doesn't love a little extra cash in the pocketbook?
  3. What you do keep, arrange in a way that you can actually see what you have to wear.  Group together items of the same type (ie: dresses, blouses, shirts) and invest in hangers that you can hang multiple items like skirts or slacks on.  There are lots of great products out there like belt holders, purse hangers, shoe hangers, etc that also help you organize multiples of the same type of item easily.  If you are really keen on organizing, you could invest in some divider tabs for your closet:


Last, but not least, if you want to stay organized once you are organized and not have all that hard work go to waste...put things back where you found them!

No comments:

Post a Comment