19 February 2012

Currently Obsessed With: The Hunger Games

Every so often, I fall out of the habit of reading every night before bed.  As a kid, I was a voracious reader and I could never get to sleep without reading for a bit.  I would read anything I could get my hands on - books, magazines, even newspapers.  I was probably the only 13 year old in my school that read the daily newspaper on a regular basis.  Truly it's a miracle I still have 20/20 vision!  So it is kind of weird that I have to be "inspired" by a really good book in order to pick one up before I go to bed...guess it just shows that as an adult I value my sleep so much more than I did as a kid.

Anyway, I am currently totally obsessed with the Hunger Games.  I just started the first book of the trilogy and cannot put it down.   The premise is fascinating...I don't want to give too much away, but basically the world ends and North Amercia is reborn as a dictatorship with 12 Districts being punished by the "Capitol" for attempting to overthrowing their rule.  The Hunger Games are a yearly event where each district has to essentially sacrifice two young adults to fight to the death in order to win a year's worth of much needed food essentials for their district.  Last person standing wins.

I'm not the only one that is wayyy into this book series.  In anticipation of the the first of four feature films inspired by the books out on March 23, there are Hunger Games inspired nail polish collections, a major soundtrack featuring songs from Taylor Swift and Maroon 5, and even hairstyles modeled after the main character Katniss Everdeen.    I am very excited to see the movie and hoping that it does justice to the excellent books unlike so many book to movie adaptations (hello Memoirs of a Geisha!).
Jennifer Lawrence as Katniss Everdeen, Josh Hutcherson as Peeta Mellark

No comments:

Post a Comment